The man wanted in connection with the fatal shooting of a University of Utah student has died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said early Tuesday.
Police said Melvin Rowland, 37, was found dead early Tuesday at a Salt Lake City church.
University officials identified the student who was killed as Lauren McCluskey of Pullman, Washington.
Here are the latest updates:
Update 7:44 a.m. EDT Oct. 23: Mark Harlan, athletics director for the University of Utah, issued the following statement Tuesday morning about McCluskey, a member of the school’s track and field team:
“Last night, the University of Utah lost one of our own,” the statement began. “Senior track standout Lauren McCluskey was tragically killed in a senseless act. This news has shaken not only myself but our entire University of Utah athletics family to its core. We have university counselors and psychologists on standby to support Lauren’s teammates, coaches and friends. Our thoughts and prayers go out to her family and all of those dear to her.”
Update 7:20 a.m. EDT Oct. 23: The University of Utah has identified the student who was shot and killed on campus Monday night.
Lauren McCluskey of Pullman, Washington, was a senior communication major and member of the school’s track and field team, university President Ruth V. Watkins said in a statement Tuesday morning.
A vigil will be held in her honor at 5 p.m. MDT Wednesday, the statement said.
Watkins also included the following details about the shooting:
“The police investigation is still underway, but here is a brief overview of what happened last night. Around 8:20 p.m., university police received a report of a possible abduction in a parking lot outside a residence hall. Police responded and as they searched the area, they discovered Lauren deceased in a parked car near the south tower of the Medical Plaza, a residential hall on campus.
“Police issued a secure-in-place order for campus as they searched for a suspect. That order remained in effect until just before midnight, after police determined the suspect had left the area. He was later found deceased at an off-campus location.”
Authorities said Rowland “forced entry to the Trinity AME Church on 600 S after a foot pursuit, then shot himself,” KUTV’s Bronagh Tumulty tweeted early Tuesday.
Update 4:09 a.m. EDT Oct. 23: Police have located Melvin Rowland, the suspect in the shooting death of a University of Utah student, the school tweeted early Tuesday.
Officials did not release any further details, but area news outlets reported a large police presence outside Trinity AME Church in Salt Lake City.
Previous report: A homicide suspect is at large after a University of Utah student was shot and killed on campus, police said Monday night.
According to the Salt Lake Tribune, university police received several reports of an argument followed by gunfire around 9 p.m. MDT. Once at the scene, authorities found a woman dead in a car.
Police identified the suspect as Melvin Rowland, 37, a 250-pound, 6-foot-3 black male wearing a white hoodie, black pants, white shoes and a gray beanie. Officials said Rowland, a convicted sex offender, fled the scene on foot.
The campus was placed on lockdown as police searched for Rowland, KSL reported. The university lifted the lockdown at 11:47 p.m. MDT Monday, tweeting that police believed Rowland had left the campus. The school also canceled all Tuesday classes.
A second law enforcement officer has died after an ambush in a Florence, South Carolina, neighborhood earlier this month that left five others wounded.
Florence County Sheriff Kenney Boone said Deputy Farrah B. Turner died Monday. She had been hospitalized since the attack.
Turner had been in critical condition at the hospital since she and six other law enforcement officers were ambushed while attempting to serve a warrant on Oct. 3.
WPDE reports that Turner was the one who filed the paperwork for the search warrant.
Boone said in a statement that Turner "was the ultimate professional, excelling at everything she did. She dedicated her life to serving the victims of the worst crimes imaginable."
Authorities say Turner was among seven law enforcement officers shot by 74-year-old Frederick Hopkins. They say the decorated Vietnam War opened fire without warning when officers arrived at his home Oct. 5 to speak with his son about a sex assault investigation.
Three deputies and four Florence city police officers were shot.
Florence Police Officer Sgt. Terrence Carraway died at the scene.
Officer Scott Williamson remains in critical condition. Two deputies, Sarah Miller and Arie Davis, were released from the hospital over the weekend.
Frederick Hopkins Jr. is charged with one count of murder and six counts of attempted murder.
Officials have not yet said when those charges will be upgraded.
The sheriff said funeral arrangements for Turner are still being organized.
South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster tweeted Monday night that he and his wife are praying for Deputy Turner's family and ordered flags to be flown at half-staff in her honor, beginning at dawn on Tuesday.
A New Hampshire couple who reported their 15-year-old daughter missing in September is now charged with kidnapping and child endangerment.
According to investigators, the couple held a minor captive in the basement of their New Boston home for more than two months.
Police say Denise and Thomas Atkocaitis are the child's legal guardians and had been homeschooling her.
Investigators say the girl was kept inside an 8- by 8-foot room in the basement of the Atkocaitises' home on Helena Drive in a rural part of the state. They say the only lighting came from one window, which, according to police, was covered with wire mesh.
The husband and wife were arrested after a two-month-long investigation on charges of criminal restraint, kidnapping and endangering the welfare of a child.
Police say the victim is the Atkocaitises' adopted child, but officials are not saying whether it's the same 15-year-old daughter they reported missing back in September.
The child they had reported missing was found safe the next day.
The couple was released on personal recognizance and is already back home. While they said they did not want to discuss the case on camera with WFXT, Thomas greeted our crews in the driveway, repeatedly insisting that the accusations are not true.
The couple is set to appear in Hillsborough County Superior Court next Thursday, Nov. 1.
The child who was kept in the basement is now under the state's care.
A Lakers fan sank an incredible half-court shot Monday night to win a $30,000 jackpot, then tried to celebrate with some of the players.
Spoiler alert: It didn't work out.
Video of the hilarious moment before the fourth quarter of the Lakers-Spurs game quickly went viral, with tens of thousands of views on Twitter.
Here's another view:
The fan, identified as 26-year-old Ali Sabbouri of Anaheim, California, seemed to take the denial in stride, flashing a huge grin as he accepted his check.
The color of a Labrador retriever’s coat seems to be related to its lifespan and health, according to new research.
Chocolate labs tend to live shorter lives then their yellow and black counterparts, and they tend to have a high rate of skin and ear disease, Live Science reported, citing a new study by an international group of researchers.
The scientists, part of a research project called VetCompass, studied some 2,000 labs from a larger database containing information on more than 30,000 of the breed.
They found that chocolate labs had a higher incidence of ear and skin disease and lived on average 10.7 years compared to the black and yellow labs’ 12 years.
Researchers believe genetics could play a role in the differences, according to Live Science.
"The relationships between coat color and disease may reflect an inadvertent consequence of breeding" dogs to be certain colors, lead author Paul McGreevy, professor of veterinary science at the University of Sydney and chair of board of VetCompass, said in a statement.
Scientists noted that while there seems to be a link between fur color and health, they don’t know what it is yet and that more study is needed.
After 27 years, an arrest has been made in the disappearance of a 19-year-old Macon woman.
Melinda McSwain, 46, was arrested by the GBI’s Perry office and charged with kidnapping in connection with the Sabrina Long missing persons case. McSwain now lives in Broxton, located in Coffee County in southeast Georgia.
Long was last seen Aug. 14, 1991, at a home in Macon. The Bibb County Sheriff’s Office initially handled the investigation before the GBI got involved in 1992.
“By conducting multiple interviews as well as serving numerous search warrants in the Middle Georgia area, the GBI developed enough probable cause to secure an arrest warrant charging McSwain with kidnapping,” a GBI news release said.
Investigators said Friday it expects additional “investigative acts” in the next few weeks.
According to The Charley Project, which profiles cold cases around the country, Long worked at Bibb Manufacturing Company and lived with her former stepfather at a home on Ashland Drive in the Bloomfield area of Macon. He and her mother had divorced.
The Southwest Macon High School graduate also had a boyfriend. The stepfather and boyfriend both had alibis for the time during her disappearance, The Project reported.
Over the years, Long’s family had told the Macon Telegraph they suspected multiple people were involved in her disappearance. Long's mother told authorities that her daughter had received numerous disturbing phone calls before Aug. 14, 1991.
Her parents had her declared legally dead in 1999, according to The Project.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the GBI Perry office at 478-987-4545 or the GBI TIPS Line at 1-800-597-8477.
The WWE’s reigning universal champion, star wrestler Roman Reigns, stunned an audience at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence, Rhode Island, on Monday night, by admitting before an arena full of fans that he has leukemia.
“My real name is Joe, and I’ve been living with leukemia for 11 years. And, unfortunately, it’s back,” Reigns, a polarizing performer, told the audience on Monday’s episode of “Raw.”.
"Because the leukemia is back, I cannot fulfill that role. I can't be that fighting champion, and I'm going to have to relinquish the WWE Universal Championship," Reigns, 33, whose real name is Joe Anoa'i, said as he held back tears.
“I’m not looking for sympathy. I’m not looking for you to feel bad for me, because I have faith,” he said as the shocked crowd, some visibly crying, listened.
Anoa’i, 33, said he was diagnosed with the disease in 2008 when he was 22, but that he was able to get it into remission pretty quickly.
The wrestling champ, a former college football player at Georgia Tech, credited the WWE for giving him a chance when he was down, and said he’s relinquishing his championship title immediately.
Anoa’i said he planned to go home and focus on his health, but he said it’s not over yet.
“I’m coming back because I want to show you all at home and my family and my children and my wife that, when life throws a curveball at me, I will choke up and I will swing for the fences every single time. I will beat this and will be back, so you will see me very, very soon.”
In the chilly, early morning hours of April 15, 1912, in the North Atlantic Ocean, the British luxury liner RMS Titanic, billed as an unsinkable modern shipping marvel, struck an iceberg on her way from Southampton, England, to New York and sank.
In one of the deadliest commercial shipping accidents in modern history, more than 1,500 of an estimated 2,200 passengers and crew died in the frigid waters when the famed vessel went down.
Now a replica of the legendary ocean liner, called Titanic II, is preparing to retrace the ill-fated voyage by 2022.
After a delay of several years over a $500 million financial dispute, construction on the replica has resumed, according to USA Today.
The Titanic II will be almost identical to its namesake with the same cabin layout and public areas, including the swimming pool and the Titanic’s famous Turkish baths, except the replica will be 13 feet wider with modern safety and navigation technology.
It will have a welded, not riveted hull, along with modern evacuation plans, controls, navigation and radar, James McDonald, marketing director of the Blue Star Line, told the Belfast Telegraph. It will also carry a similar number of passengers about 2,400 and a 900-member crew.
The new ship is under construction in China, instead of Belfast, Northern Ireland, where the original Titanic was built and launched. And when it begins its maiden voyage, it will sail from China to Dubai, then on to England where it will then retrace the Titanic’s original route from there.
“The ship will follow the original journey, carrying passengers from Southampton to New York, but she will also circumnavigate the globe, inspiring and enchanting people while attracting unrivaled attention, intrigue and mystery in every port she visits, Blue Line chairman Clive Palmer told MSN.
A security guard at a Washington, D.C. television station shot and wounded a man trying to break into the facility Monday afternoon, news outlets reported.
The intruder made it into WTTG-TV after breaking through glass security doors.
The security guard first tried to subdue the suspect with pepper spray and, when that failed, she shot him in the torso, according to police.
Update 7:40 p.m. EDT Oct. 22: The suspect in the incident at WTTG-TV Monday has been identified as George Odemns of Washington, D.C., according to a reporter at the station.
It’s still unclear what provoked the suspect and why he allegedly tried to break into the station.
An investigation is underway.
Update 6:40 p.m. EDT Oct. 22: The suspect who allegedly smashed through glass security doors at WTTG-TV, a Fox News affiliate, before a security guard shot and wounded him, was known to police and station executives according to station reporter Evan Lambert.
Lambert said, in a post on social media, that the man had threatened Fox executives and law enforcement before.
It’s unclear whether the man directed threats against specific individuals, Lambert said.
Police told news outlets that the suspect is believed to suffer from mental health issues.
UPDATE 4:40 p.m. EDT Oct. 22: Surveillance video shows a suspect kicking out the glass in a front door of the lobby, then kicking out the glass in a door into the studio after 3 p.m. local time.
WTTG reporter Evan Lambert said on Twitter that, according to police, the man was not armed and that a female security officer shot him in the upper torso.
A security guard at WTTG, a local Fox station in Washington, D.C., shot a man who attempted to enter the building Monday afternoon, according to authorities.
WRC reported that, according to the Metropolitan Police Department, the man broke out glass in two doors or two windows, allowing him to enter the building. Police said the security guard attempted to subdue the man with pepper spray, but shot him when he remained aggressive.
The 38-year-old man was shot in the lobby, police told WTTG. He was taken to an area hospital with an upper body wound and is expected to survive.
“Man was conscious as he was transported into ambulance a few minutes ago.” station reporter Lindsay Watts tweeted around 3:30 p.m. local time. “Surreal to be reporting on this.”
WTTG reported that employees at the station are safe.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
Take www.wape.com everywhere you go! Download your app below from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store:
Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!